Psycho-educational Assessment in Coquitlam
Children may be referred for a psycho-educational assessment for several reasons these can include difficulties in school, suspected learning difficulties, or behavioral problems.
Sometime when the cause of a school or behavior problem is not immediately clear, and a detailed psycho-educational assessment can highlight the strengths and challenges that a child has.
How do I know if my child needs a Psycho-educational Assessment?
- Is your child struggling in school?
- Does your child have difficulty following direction?
- Does your child have difficulty with maths or with reading ?
- Is your child easily distracted, very restless or has difficulty interacting with peers?
- Are you or your child’s teachers concerned about attention or behaviour problems?
- Do you think your child is ‘gifted’?
What is a Psycho-educational Assessment?
A Psycho-educational assessment includes:
- An intake interview with parents
- 5-6 hours of testing time with the child
- Tests are then scored and interpreted and a written report is generated
- On completion of the report the psychologist meets with the parents and when appropriate the student, for a feedback session, to discuss the findings and suggestions for interventions and accomodations
The whole purpose of the educational assessment is to provide parents, teachers and ultimately, the student, with recommendations that will support the educational needs and learning style of the student. A psycho-educational assessment will address any learning deficits or exceptional learning styles (as in the case of giftedness) and recommendations to accommodate the student’s specific learning style.
A psycho-educational assessment is an assessment of the child’s psychological aspects of learning and of academic skills.
It involves conducting specialised tests and task that assess:
*Additional tests are sometimes required depending on the presenting problem.
Consent from both parents is required prior to beginning a psycho-educational assessment
What does a Psycho-educational Assessment cost?
The time required to complete an assessment ranges between 12-15 hours and is billed at an hourly rate of $200.00 to a maximum of $2600 Court ordered and more complex assessments are also charged a fee of $200 per hour to a maximum of $5000. The full fee is due prior to the feedback session.